Thursday 13 August 2015

Whoop whoop boo

Bubs is sound asleep in the bassinet.  Instead of getting anything checked off my to do list, I thought I would hop on and have a winge.  Turns out it may have been the right choice.  Bubs is starting to stir so I probably wouldn't get anything done anyway!!

So...as of last week, my small little town is a part of a whooping cough outbreak.  Bubs and I are undergoing self-imposed quarantine.  Well, Bubs is, and by necessity I am, though I can go out to the shops when the Moose is home.  I got my vaccine at 28 weeks 1 day preggers, and Bubs got her 6 week vaccines before we left the NICU (at 5 and a half weeks gestation), and she gets her three month vaccines next week.  But I don't want to chance it.  She won't be fully protected yet.  And so I put a message on facebook saying please no visitors.  And people have been pretty supportive, which is cool.

I am all for immunizing.  I personally believe it is very important, not only for the health of my bubby but for that of the community at large, and to protect those who absolutely can not be immunized due to medical reasons.  While I absolutely believe parents have a right to choose not to immunize their children, I believe they also have a responsibility to the community and to their families, and I believe they should do their research and really run a risk analysis on it.  There is a lot of bogus science out there, and they should look beyond what celebrities and discredited doctors say.  And if they still choose not to immunize their children, well, that is their decision but with it comes some repercussions, like their children being unable to attend school during an outbreak and being at a higher risk of catching a serious disease or passing it on to someone who, for medical reasons, can't be immunized and has no choice in the matter.

I am not a germaphobe.  I hardly ever get sick.  Honestly I hope Bub's follows after me and has a really robust immune system.  But perhaps not so robust that it attacks every kind of pollen that comes its way.   But either way, until this whooping cough outbreak runs its course, Bubs is stuck at home.  And mostly I am too.  Good thing I have a massive to do list to get ready for my parents visit in a week.  And they have both been immunized recently.

Here is Bub's chatting away to her elephant.  Well, grunting is more like it.  It was, in fact, a day of multiple Poonamis, hence the peaceful grunting to the elephant.  Anyway, she is 11 weeks here (3 corrected) and 6lbs!!  And she can grab that elephant, but can't pull it to her mouth, which she tries like hell to do.  Mostly she just ends up batting the elephant around.  And the other day she discovered that she can reach up and grab Mommy's lower lip.  I think it was her hint for me to shut up. 

2 comments:

  1. ugh, whooping cough. Sorry you are stuck at home but I agree the health of your child is the first priority! Each of my parents lost a sibling to an infectious disease; people need to take this stuff seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They absolutely do! Most of the cases of whooping cough here have been in those who haven't been immunized or who have somehow missed or delayed getting the next round. One thing I hadn't realized was that whooping cough is mostly transmitted to children from adults! Most adults haven't been immunized since they were young, so their protection is mostly gone!

      And on the bright side, when the weather is nice we still get out for walks around the neighborhood. My natural resting bitch face generally keeps people from approaching us! ;)

      Delete